Monday, May 21, 2018

Seafood Gumbo with Andouille Sausage

Another one of my favorite food is gumbo. I prefer seafood gumbo because I love shrimp and crab. My fiance and I were craving some gumbo, so I made us a big ole pot of seafood gumbo. We shared some with his sisters too. This freezes great and easy to reheat. If you love gumbo as much as I do, keep reading because I found a great recipe. I made some changes to suit my taste. If you don't like seafood, you can make this gumbo with chicken and andouille sausage.


Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup bacon drippings (you can use butter, but bacon drippings is better)
1 cup chopped celery (I chopped about 4 stalks of celery)
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced (I used 12 oz since that's what the package came in)
3 1/2 quarts water, add more if needed
4 cubes beef bouillon
1 tablespoon white sugar
salt to taste
2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (I used Tabasco), or to taste
2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning blend (I used Old Bay), or to taste
4 bay leaves
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 teaspoons gumbo file powder plus 2 teaspoons gumbo file powder reserved for the end
2 (10 ounce) packages frozen cut okra, thawed and washed thoroughly to remove as much of the slimy texture as possible
1 pound lump crab meat (I used the one from Costco... trust me, the quality is so good)
1 1/2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
White rice, prepared in advance

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
 
 
 

Step 1:
Cook  6 strips of bacon in a big pot. I cut mine in half so it would fit better in my dutch oven. Once bacon is cooked, remove from pot. Add flour and whisk 15-20 minutes to develop your roux. Make sure you constantly whisk your roux so it doesn't burn. When your roux is a mahogany color (see pic below), it's ready.
 
 

Step 2:
Add your holy trinity (onion, celery and bell pepper) and garlic to the roux. Stir it around for a few minutes then add your andouille sausage. Stir it for another 5 minutes. Remove the roux mixture from the pot and set aside.
 

Step 3:
In the pot, add 3 quarts of water and 4 cubes of beef buillon. Bring to a boil and add roux mixture. Add stewed tomato, tomato sauce, cajun seasoning, bay leaves, sugar and hot sauce. Simmer on low heat for 50 minutes.
 
 

Step 4:
After 50 minutes have passed, add gumbo file powder and Worcestershire sauce. Continue to simmer for another 30 minutes. After the additional 30 minutes, add okra, shrimp and crab meat. Stir gently to mix. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, stir in additional gumbo file powder. Taste and make any adjustments. Discard bay leaves and serve with white rice.
 
 

I store my gumbo in to go soup containers (see pic below). This recipe makes about 5 quarts. Easy to store and easy to give to family and friends. Good luck and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment